Every athletic program that's been lost mattered to somebody, but here's a list of some of the more storied athletic programs that were eliminated thanks to proportionality:
- UCLA Men’s Swimming, home of 16 Olympic gold medalists;
- UCLA Men’s Gymnastics, a program that produced half of the members of the 1984 U.S. Men’s Olympic Gymnastics team that won the all-around gold at the Los Angeles games;
- Colgate University Baseball, a program that sent 13 players to the major leagues in its 107-year history;
- Cornell University Men’s Fencing, dropped after 98 seasons;
- Boston University Football, dropped after 91 seasons.
All gone. Just for the sake of a quota.